Monday, March 18, 2013

Soooo You Think you Want to Lose Weight huh?

The American dream these days is to get that all-American figure.  Whatever that means.  I guess it means you look like Hollywood stars.  The thing is we're all shaped different for a reason so be grateful no matter your shape.  Don't try to be a stick when you're a trunk!  That being said, if you can't walk a mile without wanting to roll over and die, or if you know you eat way too much, then it's time to make some changes in your life.  Today I'm focusing on how you should train to lose weight the right way.

When I hear people say "I gotta lose weight", I have to cringe because what they may or may not understand is that "weight" is all relative.  What kind of weight do you want to lose?  Water? Fat? Muscle? If you don't lose weight the right way, you'll most likely be losing water and muscle.  Sad I know!  So then what is the right way?  Weight training with cardiovascular training.  While I was interning at Curves for my personal training certificate the manager showed me what 7 lbs of fat and 7 lbs of muscle look like.  It blew my mind!  The fat takes up so much more space, looks gross, and doesn't do much, but weigh you down and maybe keep you real nice and warm in the Winter.

There are at least three different types of weight training you can do and they're all beneficial in their own way so try to do all types.  There's body weight training, light weights with high repetition, and heavy weights with low repetition.  I have always lifted weights, but it has always been either body weight training or light weights with high repetition. So I beefed things up a bit and started doing weight training with heavy weights and low repetition.  Oh my word!  Talk about awesome!  I weigh a couple of pounds more than I did before I started training, but my jeans are falling off of me.  My arms look amazing!  I'm telling you, get into weight training.  I'm not talking heavy duty power lifting (unless that's your thing), but work up to using heavier weights. Give those 5 lber's a run for their money and see the difference in your body shape.  

www.fitnessblender.com has a huge selection of amazing workout video's all for free!  Yes, that's right!  FREE!  Check them out, and then let me know how you're doing in a week or two.  I love hearing from my readers, your successes, your failures no matter how big or small.  Keep eating your 35 Grams of fiber and you'll be feeling and looking great in no time!  

For some exercise... try a 100 squat challenge.  With or without weights!  GO!

Heidi's Strawberry Banana Greek Yogurt Smoothie
1 C Plain Greek Yogurt (lots more protein than regular yogurt and less sugar)
1 C of Strawberries or 4 Large Strawberries
1/2 a banana (frozen or fresh)
1 T of Sugar (or try to leave it out if you can)
1 cap full of Vanilla extract

Blend together until smooth.  Sit outside in the sun, sip that amazing smoothie down, while soaking in some vitamin D.  

No comments:

Post a Comment